All About VJ Utt (VJ Utt) of MTV Asia

Full Name: Greg Uttsada Panichkul

Birth Date: September 03, 1974

Weight: 65 kg

Height:
175 cm

Languages Spoken: Thai, English

Joined MTV: 1998


Before he became the wacky but lovable video jockey in MTV Asia’s Bangkok Jam, Most Wanted, and MTV Screen, VJ Utt (pronounced “AHT”) was an exile.


Greg Uttsada Panichkul was a wild kid growing up in San Fernando, California where he was born to an American mother and a Thai father. A monk once took one look at the rowdy 17-year-old Thai-American and said the boy had “bad luck” written all over him. Hoping to change her son’s luck and his attitude, mom sent Utt to Thailand to live with grandma and to imbibe the local culture and mores. “Because I was a very naughty boy, my parents kind of left me in Thailand with absolutely no money,” he says. “So I took a modelling job to earn a plane ticket back to the States.”


Utt earned more than just plane fare. He put his burgeoning modelling and acting career on hold for two years to earn a Communications Arts degree from Thailand’s Assumption University. Then, he stuck it out in the land of his forefathers for the next eight years.


What Utt really wanted was to be a VJ. In the pre-MTV era, there was a 24-hour music channel in Thailand called Smile TV. “I saw how some of the VJs were bilingual and I knew it was something I wanted to do,” says Utt. He went to the show’s office, did a screen test, and was promptly hired. For the next three years, Utt displayed his veejaying prowess at Smile TV and even spun off two shows, one of which he co-hosted with younger brother, Jerry.


Enter MTV. “I auditioned at MTV the old-fashioned way (he sent a tape) like any other VJ wannabe,” Utt explains. An audition for Bangkok Jam was held at Bangkok’s Hard Rock CafĂ©. At that time, MTV was looking for a Chinese-speaking female VJ so Utt had to cool his heels waiting for his turn to show his stuff. He was the last applicant on the audition line that day. “I gave them all I had!” says Utt. Two nerve-wracking weeks dragged on before Utt received a call informing him that he qualified for the second round of auditions in Singapore, followed by another two weeks of hellish suspense waiting for the final verdict. He, of course, got the part.


While he enjoys being a VJ, Utt also loves acting. “Acting allows me to show my serious side,” he says. He is cast as an HIV-positive commercial sex worker in the critically acclaimed Thai drama series, Song Klam Doag Rak. The series received an award during World AIDS Day last year for its realistic portrayal of the AIDS problem facing Thailand and its inspiring message of hope.


Utt, a spokesperson for Thailand’s AIDS Awareness and Blood Donation Drive, is excited about his role. “MTV viewers, many of whom are teenagers, can really learn a lot from the drama, especially about the social issues involved in HIV/AIDS.” For his performance in Song Klam, Utt was nominated Best Actor by the Thailand Television Awards.
==================================================
The cell phone rings and MTV's Thai VJ Utt, a.k.a. Greg, answers a business call, leaving me with the impression that I am about to interview a fella who's in high demand. He does look very Eurasian, just as I imagined when we made our appointment by phone and he was talking to me in flawless, American-accented English. But Utt soon rectifies my wrong impression.


"It's true, I look quite like a 'luuk khreung' (child of mixed heritage), but let me assure you that I am 100 percent Thai. Both my parents are."


It is however true that the lad was born and raised in sunny California where his father held a tutorial position as a professor in social science, and Utt was exposed from earliest childhood to American culture -- popsicles, beef burgers, and MTV.


So, how does one start out as a VJ for MTV? It's not like you just gate crashed their office and announced: "Hey, here I am!"


Utt: (smiles) Not quite like that. I went to a casting MTV was holding at Bangkok's Hard Rock Cafe because they were searching for a Thai to host Bangkok Jam. That was a little over two years ago.


Did you harbor high hopes that they were going to pick you?


Utt: I thought "now or never" and I was really hyper on that day. I was the last person during the casting. I was so nervous, so excited. If you're in that state, it can come out two ways. Either it's going to be a total failure or a total success. Luckily, I was able to keep my concentration. I knew exactly what the script required and what I had to say. I was cool, but was kept in the dark about the outcome for about two weeks. Then, my agency called, saying that I had passed the first round and that I would be flown to Singapore for a second round audition. After that, I again had to wait for two weeks, but finally I learned that MTV had really picked me. Whoa, it was just such a nerve-wrecking experience!

And how did you feel?

Utt: I was just sooo happy. I think I would have been utterly disappointed if they hadn't chosen

me. I am both optimistic and pessimistic, so I always also get myself prepared for the worst-case scenario, just in case it really happens. But, yes, I still would've been devastated.


What's your show Bangkok Jam about?


Utt: It's basically a show featuring Thai artists, concerts, trendy places to go, interviews with celebrities. For example, we recently interviewed David Beckham. We also do travel now and then, went to Japan talked to Coco Lee. Every show carries a theme. For the Asian Games, we covered boxing and other sports. It's a very active program, shot mostly outdoors.

What do you think of the local pop scene?

Utt: I feel a bit uncomfortable talking about this, but I should be honest, eh? It is really commercialized and all about marketing. This month, the pan-Asian look might be in, next month it's the Chinese look, while real talent is often lacking. We do have some artists who have real talent, but what you see nowadays is like any person walking down the street being pulled in. You have them wear a leather jacket, leather pants, spike their hair up, and let them sing some type of song and you have a performer. I think this practice is kind of bad, because the new generation is being pushed in the direction of getting less discerned about quality and talent. This marketing style just deprives the new generation of their capability to be critical. There is a lot of music out there, which is quite mind numbing and some sound like children's songs.


Going to be with MTV for all eternity?

Utt: I really like what I am doing at the moment and it's lots of fun, but it is probably not forever, no.


Do you think it has been easier for you to become a celebrity in Thailand than in the States?

Utt: I definitely would say that. In the States, there is such a lot of competition and so much talent. There is so much going on a different level. I don't know where I would be if I were in the States. I probably would be a doctor, because that is what I was pursuing. Where I am now has developed from a lot of good opportunities, not necessarily luck.

As a handsome, up-and-coming star, there ought to be someone special in your life...

Utt: Nope. (chuckles)


Fancy anyone?


Utt: Actually, quite a lot (chuckles again). But at the moment, I am so busy, I just don't have time enough to spare for a steady relationship.

But you are a woman's man, a flirtatious person?

Utt: I don't think so, but many of my friends say I am. But I would say I just don't like to be committed. That's why my friends tend to call me a "womanizer," which couldn't be farther from the truth. I am young, don't want to commit myself, and I haven't found the right person yet, so it is simply down to having fun, meeting new people and if it doesn't work out with that one girl, I can go on and give it a try with the next one.
Bangkok isn't called "Fun City" for nothing. Do you enjoy going out a lot?


Utt: I don't. I am not a party lion. I do enjoy going out every now and then when there's a special occasion or when I feel really strung-up and need to relax.

You mean you're the Humphrey Bogart type, sitting alone in a quiet corner with a bottle of scotch?

Utt: I don't like drinking, I like dancing. I am always the first one on the dance floor and can get going on all night.

Any favorite venues to live out your passion?

Utt: I think it changes all the time and I just go wherever the wind blows me and I have no favorite venue. The club scene in Bangkok is very much a fad thing.

You don't like to follow the trendy crowds?


Utt: Not at all, I am totally the opposite. It's quite a contradiction with regards to my job, though. As a VJ, I really should closely follow what's happening, which venues are in and which are not. I believe, the Britt Club is currently on the agenda with many trendies.

To sum it up, VJ Utt is a hardworking, talented, womanizing dance fanatic with a mellow image?


Utt: You've got me here. If you want to put it that way, I am content, man, and have nothing to add.

By MTVAsia.com's THOMAS SCHMID

No comments: